Updated June 29, 2023
Stony Brook University Hospital welcomes visitors to our hospital. To ensure the safety of our patients, staff and visitors, we do require the following.
Each patient is allowed to have two visitors (ages 12 and older) at one time between the hours of 11 am and 8 pm, and visitors will be able to switch out throughout the day. Exceptions will be made for visitors of:
- Patients with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities
- Patients with cognitive impairments, including dementia, that are deemed medically necessary
- Patients in imminent end-of-life situations or who need compassionate care
All visitors are encouraged but no longer required to wear a mask throughout all buildings and facilities of Stony Brook Medicine. Visitors for patients who are COVID positive must wear a mask at all times while in the patient room. Additionally, visitors will be required to show photo identification. Acceptable forms of photo identification include a driver’s license, passport, green card, government-issued ID and U.S. military ID.
At the end of the visit, all visitors are asked to check out at the designated visitor kiosks in the hospital lobby to allow for the next visitor to come to the unit.
Additional Visitor Guidelines
- Emergency Department: One visitor per patient.
- CPEP: Visitation can be facilitated in person and/or virtually based on the patient’s and visitors’ individualized needs.
- Child Psychiatry: Two visitors per child per visiting session.
- Adult Psychiatry: Two visitors per session, no switching of visitors.
- Hospice Unit: Unlimited visitation.
- Outpatient and Procedural Areas: Two visitors.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU): Two visitors are permitted (one must be a parent). Visitors must be ages 18 and older.
- Pediatrics/Pediatric Oncology (PONC)/Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU): Two visitors are permitted per patient (ages 12 and older), which includes the parent/guardian at one time between the hours of 11 am and 8 pm. Additionally:
- Siblings 5 and older are permitted between the hours of 11 am and 8 pm.
- Both parents may be present at the bedside from 8 pm to 11 am.
- Labor & Delivery: Two visitors (no visitors under age 18).
- Mother/Baby: In addition to allowing two visitors between the hours of 11 am and 8 pm, siblings and one support person will be permitted. The support person (to be identified by the patient upon admission) will be permitted to stay around the clock with the patient. Siblings age 1 and older are permitted between the hours of 11 am and 8 pm. Siblings and the support person are not included in the two-visitor count.
At this time, we are not accepting deliveries for patients. This includes deliveries from local florists, Amazon and UPS to name a few.
The Nuture Gift Shop, located in the main lobby of the hospital offers a delivery service, which includes fresh flower arrangements, balloon bouquets, stuffed animals, puzzle books and simple necessities. The Gift Shop is open weekdays, 7 am to 8 pm, and weekends, 10 am to 6 pm. For inquires or to place an order, please call (631) 444-3133.
When visiting patients, visitors are allowed to bring items, such as Mylar balloons (we do not allow latex balloons) or floral arrangements (we do not allow potted plants). In most areas of the hospital, these items are permissible with the exception of our intensive care units (ICUs) and/or if the patient has a restriction based on their treatment or diagnosis. Before the visit, it is best for visitors to check with unit staff to ensure the patient is permitted to have items brought to their room.
Thank you for your support in helping us to provide a safe and healing environment for everyone.