Our thoracic specialists treat a range of benign and malignant chest diseases in both adults and children. They perform conventional operations as well as new minimally invasive procedures, such as thoracoscopic lung resection and ablative therapy for lung cancer.
- Appointments & Locations
- About Us
- Our Team
- Conditions We Treat
- Services Provided
- Specialty Center
- Patient Education
For consultations/appointments, please call (631) 444-1820
Our thoracic surgery service is part of Stony Brook’s unique Lung Cancer Evaluation Center — the only multidisciplinary lung cancer program in Suffolk County — where all disciplines involved in lung cancer treatment practice side by side, allowing for convenient one-stop evaluation for patients.
Reflecting their commitment to utilizing the latest treatment advances, our thoracic surgeons perform Suffolk County's only lung volume reduction surgery for severe emphysema.
Our thoracic surgeons have been recognized for their clinical excellence by selection for inclusion in the Castle Connolly Guide, Top Doctors: New York Metro Area, and in the “Best Doctors” listing of New York Magazine, representing the top 2% of physicians in the New York Metropolitan area. In addition, they have been selected for inclusion in the Consumers' Research Council of America Guide to America's Top Surgeons.
- Thomas V. Bilfinger, MD, ScD, Director
- Allison J. McLarty, MD
- Henry J. Tannous, MD, Chief Cardiothoracic Surgery Division
- Ankit Dhamija, MD
- Sunday Campolo-Athans, APRN, BC, nurse practitioner
- Maureen Farrell, administrative assistant
- April Plank, APRN, BC, nurse practitioner
- Lisa Repper, RN, OCN, BS, nurse navigator
Following is a comprehensive, but not all-inclusive, list of conditions we treat on the Thoracic Surgery Service at Stony Brook Medicine.
- Benign/Malignant Disease of the Mediastinum
- Benign/Malignant Disease of the Chest Wall
- Benign/Malignant Disease of the Esophagus
- Benign/Malignant Disease of the Lung
- Lung Cancer
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Small, Inoperable Lung Tumors
Following is a comprehensive, but not all-inclusive, list of services provided by the Thoracic Surgery Service at Stony Brook Medicine.
- Bronchoscopy with Airway Stent Placement
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS)
- Minimally Invasive Cryotherapy for Small, Inoperable Lung Tumors
- Surgery for mediastinal tumors
- Minimally Invasive Radiofrequency Ablation for Small, Inoperable Lung Tumors
- Lung Cancer Surgery
- Lung Volume Reduction Surgery
More information is available, upon request, from our faculty and staff. Consultations with our surgeons provide an opportunity to gain specific information and learn about one’s treatment options.
Here, we offer the following pages of information concerning conditions for which thoracic surgery is indiacted: