The online Health Library of Stony Brook University Hospital offers information about the conditions our surgeons treat, as well as information on the procedures they perform.
This information benefits our patients. It educates them so that they can better participate in their surgical care, before and after it. It helps them to make the best choices of treatment.
More information is available, upon request, from our faculty and staff. Consultations with our surgeons provide an opportunity to gain specific information and learn about one’s treatment options.
In addition, we have a growing series of online FAQs to help patients and families to understand various treatment options that we provide:
- FAQs about Achalasia, Heller Myotomy, and POEM
- FAQs about Binge Eating Disorder and Obesity
- FAQs about Diabetes and Obesity and Their Treatment with Bariatric Surgery
- FAQs about Hernias and Their Treatment
- FAQs about Life after Bariatric Surgery
- FAQs about Management Options for "Acid" Reflux
- FAQs about Mesh in Hernia Repairs
- FAQs about the Orbera Non-Surgical Weight Loss Balloon
- FAQs about the Shouldice Hernia Repair
We will offer more FAQs in the future, as our faculty continue to respond to clinical questions from our patients.
Concerning weight loss, the Patient Learning Center of the Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, the largest national society for this specialty, provides a wealth of useful information, and is highly recommended.