The Glaucoma Center at Stony Brook is a state of the art specialized practice which offers a complete spectrum of consultative, diagnostic, medical, surgical, and educational services to the patient with glaucoma. It is the only center in Suffolk County dedicated to the total care of the glaucoma patient.
The Center specializes in such diagnoses as:
- Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma
- Acute Angle-Closure Glaucoma
- Chronic Angle-Closure Glaucoma
- Glaucoma Suspect
- Glaucoma Following Eye Surgery
- Glaucoma With Diabetes Mellitus or Other Medical Illness
Diagnostic Services Include:
- Timely Scheduling and Access
- Second Opinion for Surgical Intervention
- Evaluation of the Glaucoma Suspect
- Automated Computerized and Manually Conducted Visual Field Testing
- Digital Optic Nerve Photography Available
The Glaucoma Center offers a full range of treatment modalities including:
- Medical Therapy with the Newest Advances
- Laser Treatment using on-premises state-of-the-art Coherent lasers including trabeculoplasty for open-angle glaucoma and iridotomy for angle-closure glaucoma
- Trabeculectomy for the out-patient surgical treatment of a wide range of diseases through the Ambulatory Surgical Unit at University Hospital at Stony Brook. The Center performs the most trabeculectomy procedures than any center in Suffolk County.
- Cataract Surgery in patients with glaucoma. The Center specializes in providing the complicated and unusual effort needed in these patients.
- Combined Cataract and Glaucoma Surgery
- Trabeculectomy with anti-metabolites, a very common procedure offered at Stony Brook.
- Ciliary Body Destruction
- Combined modality treatment of glaucoma in patients with diabetes mellitus and those with corneal disease. Care is coordinated with other subspecialists.