The Department of Ophthalmology offers a comprehensive range of services for the ocular complications of diabetes.
These services include among others:
- Routine ophthalmic examination based on recommendations set by the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Diabetes Association.
- Immediate examination and management of patients referred with urgent ocular complications.
- Multi-wavelength laser treatment of diabetic retinopathy for macular edema, neovascularization and neovascular glaucoma.
- State of the art outpatient retina and vitreous surgery to treat severe complications such as hemorrhage, traction and rhegmatogenous retinal detachments, and neovascular glaucoma.
- Special educational brochures and material distributed to patients.
- Close coordination with referring primary care doctors, endocrinologists and nutritionists for optimization of care.
- Community based clinical studies, funded by the National Eye Institute, performed in conjunction with the Department of Epidemiology at Stony Brook, to improve awareness and standards of care.