Specialized Care for the Eyes
The mission of Stony Brook Ophthalmology is to improve the vision and prevent blindness in those afflicted with eye diseases. We aim to provide the highest quality of multi-specialty ophthalmic care, available to all in an ethical, cost-effective and compassionate manner at our patient-friendly facilities.
Advanced Specialty Care
500 Commack Road, Suite 108
Commack, NY 11725
“I’m trying to develop some groundbreaking treatments for common eye diseases here at Stony Brook.”
- Cornea/external diseases
- Age-related macular degeneration
- Eye injuries
- Cosmetic procedures
- Vitreoretinal diseases
Specialties offered at our Commack office:
- Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology - Treatment for patients with general ocular problems or those desiring a screening evaluation for cataracts or glaucoma. Routine ophthalmic evaluations are provided.
- Cataract surgery - A cataract is the natural opacification of the eye's natural lens that occurs over time. During cataract surgery, the cloudy lens can be removed and a new lens implant can be inserted in its place. Toric (astigmatism correcting), multifocal and extended depth-of-focus intraocular lens implants (IOLs) are offered.
- Cornea & external disease - Medical and surgical treatment for dry eye, blepharitis, Fuchs and other corneal dystrophies, corneal edema (swelling), keratoconus, corneal abrasions and scars, Herpes infections, and corneal ulcers. Various types of corneal transplantation, including endothelial keratoplasty (DSEK/DMEK), penetrating keratoplasty (PK) and DALK (deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty) are offered.
- Glaucoma - Treatment for patients with glaucoma and elevated intraocular pressure (ocular hypertension
- Refractive surgery / laser vision correction - Laser vision correction, which includes LASIK and PRK, uses an excimer laser to gently reshape the cornea to correct nearsighted, farsighted, or astigmatic vision. This procedure allows many patients to see without glasses for many activities such as driving or sporting activities, or to enter professions that have vision requirements.
- Orbit, oculoplastics and cosmetic issues - Cosmetic procedures to include Botox, Juviderm, and Ultherapy
- Vitreoretinal disease - Medical and surgical treatment of age related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal detachment, retinal tears, macular pucker, macular hole, uveitis, retinal vascular disorders, and inherited retinal disease. Bionic eye: Stony Brook is the only center of excellence that offers the bionic eye in the NY Metro area.
- Trauma - Medical and surgical treatment of ocular foreign body and other traumatic injuries of the eye and eyelid.
- Neuro-Ophthalmology - Service offering comprehensive consultations, medical and surgical services specializing in neurological disorders that affect the visual system and the ophthalmic complications of systemic disorders
Using state-of-the-art ophthalmic technology enables us to deliver more effective care.
Our skilled ophthalmologists offer expert medical and surgical eye care for adults and children with all types of eye diseases and visual problems. We employ the latest technology in our commitment to providing the highest quality care for our patients.
For more information about our specialties, and other practice locations visit our website.