Stony Brook Preventive Medicine offers Breastfeeding, Chestfeeding and Lactation medicine services for both birthing and non-birthing parents, regardless of parent's gender identity or sex assigned at birth.
Services offered include:
- General lactation support
- Prenatal lactation education
- Assistance with latch and pumps
- Induction of lactation for non-birthing parents
- Collaboration with endocrinologists and gender affirming care providers
- Cessation of lactation for birthing parents experiencing dysphoria
- Information on binding while lactating
- Assistance with second-parent lactation
- Treatment of peripartum mood and anxiety disorders including postpartum depression
Note: for best results with induction of lactation, therapy should ideally start 6 months prior to feeding a child, so consider an appointment as early as possible!