Welcome to the Stony Brook Radiology's Division of Abdominal Imaging. The division subspecializes in diseases of the gastrointestinal (GI), genitourinary (GU), and abdominal/pelvic vascular systems. Our division includes radiologists specializing in CT (computed tomography), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), PET/MRI (positron emission tomography with MRI) and fluoroscopy. This division also encompasses the ultrasound section which is responsible for all abdominal, pelvic, neonatal, early fetal, pediatric, thyroid, and neonatal cranial ultrasound.
We are a cutting-edge section devoted to excellence and leadership in every part of our mission. We provide advanced imaging procedures with expertise that is not available at many institutions:
- Combined PET/MRI for a variety of indications including staging of rectal cancer
- Virtual Colonoscopy (CT Colonography) for colorectal cancer screening (ALL readers ACR certified)
- Pharmacodynamic MR cholangiopancreatography with Secretin or CCK
- MR and CT Enterography
- Standardized RECIST (IWG-NHL or IWG-CLL) reporting for oncology trials
- Dynamic Pelvic Floor MR Imaging
- Hepatic MRI with dedicated hepatobiliary MR contrast agents
- Ultrasound guided thyroid biopsy
Our radiologists are well-respected experts who are active in local, regional, national and international levels:
- Dr. Annapurneswara Rao Chimpiri, Assistant Professor of Radiology, is a Fellow of Royal College of Radiologist. His expertise are in CT and MRI of Abdomen and Pelvis with special interests in Hepatobiliary imaging, pancreatic cancer, small bowel imaging and advanced pelvic floor imaging. He is active in research involving Pancreatic Cancer, developing Advanced MRI techniques in Abdomen, perianal fistula and Fetal MR imaging. He currently supervise protocols and Quality assurance in body MRI along with being an active member of the Radiology Residents Education Committee. He was the lead in imaging of Pancreatic cancer, Inflammatory bowel disease, liver transplants during his years at Oklahoma University.
- Dr. Robin Cunningham is an Assistant Professor of Radiology, Section Head of Ultrasound. She has recently traveled to Peru on a medical mission providing ultrasound to impoverished people of the Sacred Valley of the Andes Mountains. Dr. Cunningham teaches ultrasound to medical students as part of the core curriculum incorporating clinical skills into medical school education.
- Dr. Shahid Hussain, Vice-Chair of Education and Professor of Radiology, is a Fellow of the Society of Abdominal Radiology. He has clinical experience of more than 15 years, with expertise in Body MRI, CT, Ultrasound, and Conventional Exams. He has been active in clinical research and education with 74 peer-reviewed publications, 162 presentations, 3 book chapters, and 2 MRI textbooks. Over his career, Dr. Hussain has received 13 awards and has mentored numerous medical students, radiology residents, and imaging fellows. He is also actively involved as a Deputy Editor within the Editorial Board of the Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- Dr. Seth Mankes, Co-Director of the Division, was voted as one of the "Doctors of Excellence" featured in the previous and latest edition (2013) of the Castle Connolly Guide, Top Doctors: New York Metro Area. His area of expertise is in gastrointestinal radiology, especially oncology. Dr. Mankes represents the Department of Radiology at upper and lower GI tumor boards. He is also actively involved in teaching radiology to gastrointestinal fellows from the Department of Medicine.