Stony Brook Dermatology Associates
You can also obtain directions by calling (631) 444-4200 and selecting option 1 at any time.
The office is open daily from 9:00am-5:00pm with voicemail available for incoming calls between noon and 1:00pm.
Monday through Friday 8:00am-4:00pm
1.) Call us at (631) 444-4200 and select option 1
2.) Request an appointment through your MyHealtheLife portal account
3.) Email our call center staff @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be prepared to provide your current demographic & insurance information to ensure against any scheduling snafus.
What we will be asking for and helpful tips:
In order for us to deliver quality service, we will need important information from you:
- A completed history form if you are either new to Stony Brook Dermatology Associates or it has been one year since your last visit in our office (forms below).
- A brief description of the reason for your visit.
- Whether this is the first time you've been to Stony Brook Dermatology Associates.
- How you were referred to the practice and whether you were referred to see a specific provider by name.
- If not, whether you have a provider gender preference for personal comfort.
- Your insurance coverage (plan name and policy number) so we can schedule you with a provider who is participating with your plan.
- Please have your insurance information available when you call. Although our physicians participate in most managed care plans, there are some we are not participating with as a group. If your insurance carrier requires an authorization or referral, please be sure to obtain your approval from your primary care provider (PCP) at least 2-3 days prior to your visit. Our staff will provide you with the carrier specific ID# of the provider you are scheduled with to facilitate the referral process with your primary medical doctor’s office.
- We strongly recommend patients with insurance referral requirements call our office at (631) 444-4200 option 1 24 hrs. in advance of the visit to confirm we have been able to retrieve your referral online. Patients who arrive for their scheduled appointments without the requisite referral/authorization on file will either need to self-pay or to reschedule.
Copayments are collected during the check-in. process. Patients will be responsible for any deductible, co-insurance or cost-sharing applied to processed claims. Services not covered by insurance deemed not "medically necessary" by the carrier are referred to as cosmetic procedures and will be quoted by the treating provider before any service is performed.
- In general, commercial insurance and point of service (POS) plans do not require prior approvals. However, many managed care companies require electronically submitted authorizations from the subscriber's primary care physician.
- If you are unsure whether you have this type of plan, PLEASE check with your primary care physician or with your insurance carrier to determine whether a referral is required for specialists under your particular policy.
- Enrollment periods for benefits often result in policy changes in which a prior policy had different guidelines than a new one, so it’s important to double check since this happens very often and is a source of patient frustration when only realized upon signing in; we are here to help!
In order to optimize the time spent checking in, we strongly recommend the following providing you haven’t submitted your data electronically through our secure MS Forms application:
- Copies of recent pathology results or lab tests (if applicable).
- A written summary of your medical history, a list of current medications and over the counter (OTC) supplements taken, medication allergies, and associated symptoms.
- The names and respective methods of contact of all members with whom we can communicate.
- Your insurance card which will be scanned to your electronic medical record (EMR).
- A check or credit card to make your copayment when applicable (cash is no longer accepted in most cases).
We know your time is valuable and that you may have a busy schedule, so we have created opportunities to add value by saving you time in the office:
- At the time of scheduling, our staff will give you the option of receiving required paperwork ahead of time via email, fax or regular mail so you can complete them at your leisure and be better prepared.
- If you have not received your new patient or updated registration package ahead of time, please do arrive 15 minutes early to complete your paperwork in the office (though not preferred).
- You can always communicate with our office about appointment-related questions using our group email @ email@example.com (it's important NOT leave any personal identifying information in your correspondence).
Please be sure to bring these forms with you to your appointment!
These are e-versions which route directly to our MS Forms platform securely when you press submit at the end!