Prostate cancer can be viewed as unusual compared to other cancers, being that in many cases it does not spread to other parts of the body. Prostate cancer grows very slowly and may not give a patient problems for years. Proper management of prostate cancer can lead to good health and quality of life for several years.
- Frequent Urination
- Weak urine flow
- Blood in the urine
When to see a doctor
Visit a doctor if you are experiencing any of the above symptoms to determine the cause of the problem and a proper diagnosis.
If you are a man age 40 or over, be proactive about your health. For information about screening for prostate cancer or to make an appointment with a Stony Brook urologist, call (631) 444-4000 or CLICK HERE.
Treatments we offer
- Active surveillance - monitoring low risk prostate cancer
- Robotic prostatectomy - surgery to remove the entire prostate gland and seminal vesicle
- External-beam radiation therapy - curing the disease by killing cancer cells
- Brachytherapy (seed implants) - radiation therapy given from inside the body
- Cryosurgery - kills the cancer cells in the prostate by freezing them
Helpful Resources on Prostate Cancer: