Who has Long Island's best ambulatory surgery center? The best cancer center? The best burn center? The best children’s hospital? The best dental school?
If you guessed Stony Brook, you guessed right.
Those centers and more were honored on Nov. 1 at the annual Achievements in Health Care awards ceremony, hosted by Long Island Business News at Crest Hollow Country Club in Woodbury. Stony Brook received 16 awards, more honors than any other hospital on Long Island.
Here is the complete list of winners from Stony Brook Medicine:
- Long Island’s Best Children’s Hospital: Stony Brook Children’s Hospital
- Long Island’s Best Cancer Treatment Center: Stony Brook University Cancer Center
- Long Island’s Best Ambulatory Care: Stony Brook Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Long Island’s Best Dental: Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine Dental Outreach Team, Rhona Sherwin, DDS; Carol Sloane, RDH; and Margaret Bakos
- Long Island’s Best Burn Center: Suffolk County Volunteer Firefighters Burn Center at Stony Brook Medicine
- Education: Stony Brook University School of Medicine
- Physician: Samuel Ryu, MD, Deputy Director for Clinical Affairs, Stony Brook University Cancer Center
- Nurse: Connie Kraft, RN, MSN, MS, CEN
- Dentist: Julio Carrion, DMD, PhD, Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine
- Health Care Professional: Pete Amato, Paramedic
- Volunteer: Mickey (Michael) Martin and pet therapy dog Lucy
- Women’s Health and Wellness: Stony Brook Women’s Heart Center, Noelle Mann, MD, and Kathleen Stergiopoulos, MD, PhD
- Innovations in Health Care: SBIRT (Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment) Program, Kristie Golden, PhD
- Healthy and Fit Workplace: Stony Brook University Hospital, Chef John Mastacciuola and Michael West
- Spirit of Advocacy: Stony Brook Children’s Hospital Prom
- Best Advertising Campaign: Stony Brook Children’s Hospital
Standing from left to right: Samuel Ryu, MD; Julio A. Carrion, DMD, PhD; Pete Amato; John Mastacciuola, Executive Chef; Connie Kraft, RN, MSN, MS, CEN; Michael West, Director of Food and Retail Services; Ellen Miller, MBA, Associate Director of Operations, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital; L. Reuven Pasternak, MD, CEO, Stony Brook University Hospital; Kathleen Stergiopoulos, MD, PhD; Thomas Halton, Assistant Director of Nursing, Ambulatory Surgery Center; Noelle Mann, MD; Clinton Weaver, MBA, Senior Director, Public Affairs and Marketing; Maureen Cole, MS, RN, Associate Director of Nursing, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital; Carol Gomes, MS, FACHE, CPHQ, Chief Operating Officer; Jane McCormack, RN, Trauma Nurse Coordinator; Susan McCarthy MS, LMSW, SBIRT Program; Joan Crawford, SBIRT Program; and Donna Moller, SBIRT Program.
Seated from left to right: Margaret Bakos; Rhona Sherwin, DDS; Carol Sloane, RDH; Kristie Golden, PhD; Nicole Auer, SBIRT Program; Christine Olsen, SBIRT Program; Deanna Bacchus, SBIRT Program; John Ruth, SBIRT Program; and Sue Robins, SBIRT Program.