Director: Josephine Connolly- Schoonen, PhD, RD
Women Infants and Children (WIC) - Stony Brook WIC Program is a nutrition education and supplemental food program for low-income pregnant, postpartum, and breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to 5 years of age. The Stony Brook WIC Program prides itself on offering participant centered services to the families we serve in four locations. For more information, visit WIC.
Click here to learn more about nutrition tips to help you recover from Covid-19.
Click here for information on how nutrients impact immune function and recovery from Covid-19 (especially for health care professionals).
Our nutrition therapy services are designed to empower you to harness the full potential of food and nutrients to optimize your health, as well as to help you prevent or manage chronic conditions.
Medical nutrition therapy and nutrition counseling services
Good nutrition is an essential component of a healthy lifestyle. Whether you are trying to lose weight, manage a chronic condition, reduce your risk of disease, or just looking to make positive changes to your diet, the nutrition experts at Stony Brook Medicine can help. Our registered dietitian nutritionists (RDNs) provide professional nutrition therapy and personalized strategies to support your health and wellness goals.
Individual and group sessions are available for:
- Autoimmune conditions (rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, thyroid disease, and lupus)
- Diabetes, metabolic syndrome and pre-diabetes
- Digestive problems and gastrointestinal disorders (irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, Celiac disease and gluten intolerance)
- Epilepsy and Ketogenic diet
- Heart disease: dyslipidemia, high cholesterol, high triglycerides and hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Weight management
- Sports performance
Payment: Individual Nutrition Therapy may be covered by your insurance, depending on your carrier and the plan your employer negotiated with the carrier. To determine if your insurance will cover nutrition therapy we highly recommend you call your insurance company with the following information before arriving for your appointment:
- Provider Name: For example, this may be Josephine Connolly-Schoonen, PhD, RD or Lorraine Danowski, PhD, RD.
- Code for Type of Service: The code for an initial medical nutrition therapy session is 97802 (CPT code).
- Diagostic code (ICD-10 code) for the condition for which you are seeking treatment. Diabetes is E11.9. Diagnostic codes for other conditions can be found at http://www.icd10data.com/IDC10CM/Codes.
You may inquire about price when you call to consider making an appointment, 631.444.5858.
Follow our blog for nutrition tips and great recipes!
Group Workshops are Available for Adults on the Following Topics:
Target Fitness Weight Management Program for Adults
Target Fitness for Weight Management (one day a week for 10 weeks): A unique program providing extensive evidence based strategies and tools to lose weight and keep it off! You will receive an individualized nutrition plan, body composition analysis an individualized short and long term weight goals.
New classes are forming at:
Virtually, via Zoom
Tuesdays, 5:30-6:30 PM
Starting: April 11, 2023
Please click on this link to register now for either class. See this flyer for more information.
Payment: The cost of Target Fitness Weight Management Program for Adults is $190. Payments are non-refundable and non-transferable. For group nutrition workshops, payment is due on the first day of the workshop. Individuals are responsible to pay and we do not bill insurance companies for these programs.
Classes are forming now for:
- Sports Performance Nutrition Package: A series of nutrition interventions to craft an individualized nutrition plan that enables you to meet your performance goals.
- Initial Assessment
- 1 Follow-up
- 2 Follow-up telephone sessions
- Target Fitness for Cardiometabolic Health (one day a week for 4 weeks): This program provides an innovative, comprehensive nutrition approach to prevent/manage coronary artery disease. Strategies provided go beyond managing weight and cholesterol levels, but facilitate shifting your metabolism to decrease oxidative stress and inflammation.
- Cost for course is $80.
- Classes held virtually, via Zoom
- Wednesdays, TBD, 12:30 - 1:30 PM
- Mondays, TBD, 4:00-5:00 PM
- Please click on this link to register for the class.
- Target Fitness for Gastrointestinal Health (one day a week for 4 weeks): An innovative program that offers a variety of strategies to decrease gastrointestinal discomfort and ongoing disease processes, as well as guidance on developing an individualized approach that will work for you!
- Cost is $80.
- Classes held virtually, via Zoom
- Thursdays, TBD, 12:30-1:30 PM
- Fridays, TBD, 4:00-5:00 PM
- Please click on this link to register for this class.
- Target Fitness for Pregnancy and Infant Nutrition (one day a week for 2 weeks): This program provides a comprehensive nutrition approach for a healthy pregnancy, as well as for nutrition strategies to support breastfeeding and/or postpartum weight management. In addition, you will learn best practices for feeding your baby so as to set the foundation for optimal health!
- Supermarket Tour (one 2-hour session): During our walk through the supermarket, you will increase your confidence in cutting through the marketing hype to select truly health-promoting foods.
- Cost is $15.
- If interested, please email email@example.com.
- Target Fitness Culinary Arts Workshop (one 2-hour workshop): Our culinary arts workshops empower you to pull together healthy meals and snacks for you and your family that will optimize health, as well as help manage nutrition-related health conditions.
For more information on these classes, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sports Performance Nutrition for Young Athletes
An interactive one day workshop for young athletes that will help them eat well to compete well. Participants will learn how to fuel properly to excel at sports and avoid burnout. Participants must be at least 13 years old. Email email@example.com for more information.
Group Cooking Workshop for Kids:
Workshops are offered throughout the year to give kids a deeper understanding of food and its benefits. Using produce grown from our own Stony Brook Heights Rooftop Farm, they learn kitchen safety, how to harvest produce from our farm, how to read and follow recipes, mixing, measuring and seasoning techniques, and above all, how to make an enjoy healthy meals. Learn more.
The Nutrition Division at Stony Brook Medicine's Department of Family, Population & Preventive Medicine will host in-person kids cooking and nutrition classes for 7-10 year-olds this summer. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our nutrition experts are available to address groups on a variety of topics. Topic, length, format and price are negotiable. Please call Sharon Schmidt, 631.638.2132, for more information.