Infertility is defined as a couple's inability to achieve pregnancy following one year of unprotected intercourse. It has been estimated that 15-20% of couples attempting to achieve pregnancy are unable to do so.

Types of Fertility Problems:

Male Infertility

Infertility is when a couple is unable to become pregnant after having unprotected sexual intercourse for one year. Approximately 15 percent of couples experience infertility in North America and Europe.

Breakdown of infertility cases in developed countries:

Factor Percentage
Male Factors 20%
Female Factors 40%
Both male and female factors 25%
Undetermined 15%


There are generally no obvious signs or symptoms associated with infertility, besides unsuccessful attempts at pregnancy.

When to see a doctor
After 1 year of unprotected sex, doctors recommend that the man and woman be tested. If you are over 35 and have not gotten pregnant after 6 months, your doctor may want to test sooner.

Treatments we offer

  • Hormone treatment to increase sperm count
  • Surgery to open up a block in the testicles
  • In vitro fertilization (IVF) - The doctor takes the woman’s egg and a man’s sperm and fertilizes the egg in a test tube. The fertilized is is then placed in the woman’s uterus to grow.

Helpful Resources on Infertility:

Vasectomy Reversal

A vasectomy reversal reconnects the pathway for sperm to get into semen. This surgery is performed under a special microscope (microsurgery).

After a vasectomy reversal

  • Healing should be quick and easy
  • Pain medications may be needed for the first few days
  • Return to normal routine / light work in a week
  • No sex for 2-3 weeks
  • It may take 4-12 months after surgery for your partner to get pregnant

Helpful Resources on Vasectomy Reversal:


A varicocele is a group of swollen veins located inside the scrotum. Boys and men can experience varicoceles at any age. Varicoceles may be a factor in men having trouble getting a woman pregnant.

Varicoceles typically do not cause any pain or symptoms; however, you may experience the following:

  • Dull ache in the testicle
  • Swelling in one testicle (more common on the left side)
  • Testicles look different sizes

When to see a doctor

Visit a doctor if you are experiencing the symptoms listed above. Your doctor will most likely be able to diagnose a varicocele by an examination.

Treatments we offer

  • Pain medicine - Ibuprofen can relieve discomfort
  • Wearing tight underwear to support the scrotum
  • Surgery to stop the blood flowing into the swollen veins

Helpful Resources on Varicoceles:

For more information, visit our Men's Health Website


Dr. SheynkinYefim R. Sheynkin, MD, FACS
Associate Professor
Male Infertility and Microsurgery
Dr. BergWilliam Berg, MD
Associate Professor
Male Infertility and Men's Health













Make an Appointment

Last Updated