Stony Brook Medicine is Suffolk County’s only academic medical center — meaning that many of the best ideas in medicine are conceived and nurtured here, then applied in innovative ways to enhance the care of our patients, while inspiring and preparing the next generation of medical professionals. The following are some of the many achievements we’re most proud of:
Stony Brook University Hospital
The Nation’s First
- Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center
Long Island’s Only
- Accredited Chest Pain Center with Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI)
- ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) Association Certified Center of Excellence
- State-designated Center of Excellence for Alzheimer’s Disease
- State-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program (CPEP)
Suffolk County’s Only
- Level 1 Regional Trauma Center (highest designation in New York State)
- Tertiary Care Center
- Regional Perinatal Center (highest designation for New York State Perinatal Centers)
- Children’s Hospital
- State-designated AIDS Center
- State-designated Burn Center
- Accredited Heart Failure Center
- Accredited Ventricular Assist Device (a mechanical device that supports heart function) Program
- Kidney Transplantation Program
- Bone Marrow and Blood Stem Cell Transplantation Program
- University-based Level 4 Epilepsy Center
Suffolk County’s First
- Open Heart Surgery Program
- 320-slice CT scanner for better quality and faster imaging
- PET-MRI scanner (Positron Emission Tomography–Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
- da Vinci® Robotic Surgical System
- Sensei® Robotic Catheter System for irregular heartbeats
- Siemens Artis zee® Biplane Angiography Suite for neuroendovascular diagnosis and treatment
- Nobel-prize-winning Magnetic Resonance Imaging technology
- 3D virtual colonoscopy
- The cause of Lyme disease
- ReoPro® (a medication recommended for cardiac angioplasty)
- Periostat® (widely used for periodontal disease)
- Xiaflex® to treat Dupuytren’s disease (a debilitating hand disorder)
BasicBites® (used to help maintain healthy teeth by supporting normal pH levels)
Stony Brook Southampton Hospital
- Home to the Ellen Hermanson Breast Center, the only facility of its kind on Long Island’s East End, offering complete state-of-the-art breast health services in a private, supportive environment. Services include mammography with tomosynthesis, stereotatic breast biopsy, MRI, ultrasound, all phases of surgery, bone densitometry, patient navigation, genetic counseling, patient medical and psychosocial support, and community outreach.
- Home to The Jenny and John Paulson Emergency Department, the only hospital-based 24/7 emergency care on the South Fork.
- Home to the Audrey and Martin Gruss Heart & Stroke Center, a New York State-designated Stroke Center.
- Long Island’s only Tick-Borne Disease Resource Center provides information, expert advice and referral to those suffering from tick-borne disease. Collaboration within the medical community is also enabled and assistance with scientific research at two major medical schools is provided
- Making healthcare accessible to all residents with 28 satellite facilities across the East End.
- Provides a sophisticated, multi-disciplinary Center for Advanced Wound Healing, the East End’s only dedicated wound care facility, featuring two hyperbaric oxygen chambers.
- Home to the Ed & Phyllis Davis Wellness Institute, bringing together clinical excellence and a holistic approach to wellness in the only hospital-based Integrative Medicine on the East End. Programs in yoga, tai chi, meditation, stress reduction, nutritional counseling, acupuncture, smoking cessation, and more enhance well-being and quality of life.
- Welcomes close to 900 babies annually at its state-of-the-art Kathleen D. Allen Maternity Center.
- Home to an Osteopathic Medical Education Program, training new physicians in a community hospital setting.
- Home to Eastern Long Island’s only Tick-Borne Disease Resource Center.
- Home to the Hamptons Center for Minimally Invasive Surgery, with highly qualified physicians specializing in all types of surgical procedures, and The Hamptons Center for Weight Loss Surgery.
- Full-service laboratory accredited by the College of American Pathologists, at the Hospital and at four other convenient locations on the South Fork.